Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day Seven

Reflect on the expansion of water and salt water experiments you and your classmates performed. What are some of the interesting results and struggles with this experiment.
Some results that I found interesting was that when salt was added to the ice it got colder, I thought that when we added the salt it would make it warmer since it had melted the salt.  Another thing I found interesting was that I thought when ice froze it would expand a greater amount but according to my data and some other classmate's results the ice didn't expand much.  Some struggles with this experiment was that it was hard to measure how much the ice had expanded each time we checked it.  Another thing I found hard was to take the temperature when the ice froze because I had to break a little hole into it so that I could get the thermometer in the ice.  Looking over other classmates was also interesting because everyone did something different for their experiments and everyone got different results.

Relate your thoughts on this experiment to the scientific question "Is the earth warming?"
According to some classmates it seemed like there water was taking longer to freeze when put outside, which could relate to global warming.  I put my water into our freezer for this experiment so I looked at others to see their results compared to outside.  We could create an experiment to test this if we put the same amount of water in the freezer and then the same amount outside and then checked them at the same time to see how they compare.  When I think about this question I think about right now outside we get snow and it gets warm and melts the snow then it freezes again once it gets cold and it goes back and forth freezing and melting freezing and then melting. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment