Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day Three: Activity 1

Talk about process regarding car that does not start, what do you do?
I would first try to figure out what the problem could be and I would need to stay calm.  Also if I was supposed to be in class I would try to contact someone within my class and let them know I wouldn't be there for a while or not at all, then email the teacher as soon as possible. I would then observe smell, look, listen to make an educated guess at what the problem could be. I would think about if I was out of gas or if I was low on gas and the gas could have froze in the tank. If I thought I was low on fuel I would honestly call my brother who lives in town and ask him what I would do.  He would most likely tell me that I need to go get some Heat and then most likely he would bring me some gas.  Then we would try and start my vehicle. The other problem could be that a light or my headlights were left on and the battery went dead.  Then I would have my roomie or someone that was around pull up to my car and and jump start it letting it run for a while to charge up the battery.  This would be a lesson for me to always make sure my gas tank is full and that in the winter I need to add Heat to it to make sure the gas tank never freezes up.  I would also make sure I always have my lights and headlights off and all the doors on my car were shut before I leave my vehicle.  My care has done this to me before only it was in the spring so I had a friend come jump start my car and that fixed my problem, I must have left the dome light in within my car. 

What is the Scientific Method, explain the process and steps?
Scientific method is a bunch of different techniques for investigating an observable occurrence, which consists of collecting data through observation and experimentation.  You then formulate a hypotheses and test it.  The first step is to ask a question.  The second step is to do background research, then you need to construct a hypothesis.  The hypothesis should be a "If....then" statement. The fourth step is to test your hypothesis by doing an experiment.  Once you do your experiment then you need to anaylze your data and draw a conclusion. If your hypothesis is false you will need to state a new hypothesis and try again. (Trial and error). The last step is to communicate your results. 
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_scientific_method.shtml

Relate the scientific process to the experiment that you performed on surfaces and liquids.
Last night I used the scientific process to experiment with liquids and surfaces by first asking the questions, "what surfaces will I test on and what will I test?"  I experimented with two different surfaces; first I tested on a mirror then I tested on a plastic bag.  I picked different things around my apartment that I wanted to experiment with, once I got them all in front of me I made a educated guess or a hypothesis on what I thought was going to happen with each item I added water to.  An example would be "If I spray olive oil on the mirror and then add water it will separate into two different areas."  Then I conducted the experiment by spraying the mirror with some olive oil then I slowly poured some water onto the top.  My hypothesis was correct the oil and water did separate.  To collect data I took a picture of each experiment and wrote a description of what happened.  After I did all the ten different combinations I could then draw my conclusions and communicate my results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment